Monday, June 19, 2006

Why my family history?

There was a disconnected-ness to Donegal in the 1970's. Geographically, it's position on the very north-west of Ireland and the border with Northern Ireland meant that it was quite cut-off from the rest of Ireland. A trip to Dublin would take well over 5 hours, many of that on small country roads. Hardly any house had a telephone. Televisions were still often in black & white. There was a sense that not much had changed in decades or more. Dancing at Lughnasa was set in Donegal in the 30's but it still seems to catch the mood that pervailed in 70's Donegal.

And such was my childhood in Donegal. I may not have been old enough to understand considerations of time and place, but there are some strong memories and impressions. One of the things I remember best is 'rambling', a term used for visiting other people's houses to chat, swap stories or just catch up with friends and neighbours.

Some of my strongest childhood memories are when we were out rambling, or someone came over to ramble. Being a four year old I wasn't what you would call an active participant in the conversation, but there are details that just hang around in my memory. Like the heavy tick tock of the old clocks when there was any lull in the conversation. The overwhelming smell of the turf fires. The curious blue formica pattern on Cassie McAnaw's table. Staying up late on the dugout listening to the grownups. I remember Henry Hone who would come 'over the mountain' to visit. I don't even remember what Henry looked like. I just remember a giant shadow in the doorway as he came in. And in my memory he walks barefoot. I remember Mary Anne Dunnion talking about seeing faries as a child and actually pointing at the spot out here window where she saw them walk accross the hill. At the heart of all this was, is, a connection with the past, in the stories, in the way of life, in the people. I didn't understand it then, and I still don't really understand it now.

For me there is great fun (and sometimes frustration) in the paper chase of researching my family history. But there is also a deep sense of awe in piecing together the lives of the people who came before. Seeing their hardships. But also seeing the connection between the past and the my own experiences.

1 comment:

Eilis Docherty said...

Wow, Cassie McAnaw was my Great Auntie and I'm pretty sure I remember that table as well!