Thursday, June 29, 2006

The McCadden's of Aghlem - Owen McCadden

As mentioned, the Griffith Valuation lists three McCadden’s, Patrick and Denis in Stranass and Owen in Aghlem. Unfortunately, this is the only record we have of Owen. We do in fact see another Owen McCadden (1856 - 1934) listed in the census records, but his age makes him too young to be the same person as in Griffith. Owen, son of Owen, is the more likely explanation here. The Owen in the 1911 census was born 1856. He and his wife Mary Kelly had 8 children, 3 sons, and 5 daughters. Of those children, 5 are listed in the 1911 census, three sons, Charles (1890), Joseph (1892), John (1895) and 3 daughters Catherine (1888), Lizzie (1901) and Teresa (1903). An additional two daughters, Grace (1881) and Mary had already emigrated to America by the time of the 1911 census.

Moving from census returns to the Ellis Island records we see that there is another spelling for the townland of Aghlem (Aughlin), but the immigrant’s names are still recognisable. There are four members of Owen McCadden’s family listed (Elizabeth, Grace (married name Hanna), Bridget, John). Owen’s children are listed as going to their sister Mary confirming that Mary went to America first. We also know that Joseph emigrated to America.

Comparing Ellis Island records to the 1911 Census there are a few discrepancies. The one name that matches up well is John (listed as 16 in 1911 and 20 in 1915). Bridget appears to be missing from the 1911 Census even though she only emigrated in 1913. Elizabeth is more confusing. She is listed as 10 year old Lizzie in 1910, though her immigration record shows her as having immigrated as 21 year old Elizabeth in 1902. If the immigration date was in fact 1922, these dates would be reconciled. This would also fit with another fact. When Elizabeth entered America her sister Mary is listed as married (married name Meehan). However, for the other sibling who entered between 1910 and 1915, Mary is listed as McCadden (implying she is still single at this time). If Elizabeth did indeed enter in 1921 this gives 2 facts about Mary. First she emigrated sometime before 1910 (rather than pre-1902 as implied by the immigration record) and second that she got married sometime between 1915 and 1922 to a man named Meehan.

With six children in America, two remained in Donegal. Charles is listed as being present at Owen’s death, so it is likely that he remained in the family home. Theresa moved to Drimadoney and married into the Lawn family. In Clar cemetery, a grave marks the family plot of Owen McCadden of Aghlem. The names of the family are not listed, except for Theresa. Theresa died very young at in 1935 aged only 34. Owen, himself, died in 1934.

Beyond the records here not much is known about this branch of McCadden’s. One of the reasons for this is the high number of daughters in Owen’s family. Patriarchal family history is usually easier to trace. In addition, the fact that five of the children emigrated, meant that there may be McCadden’s with family knowledge scattered all over America.

13 comments:

Tom Lavin said...

my grandmother was Bridget Agnes McCadden from Aughlem. she was named after her mother but went by Agnes. she marrid JamedsLavin of Kiltimagh , Mayo in Brooklyn. she returned to Aughlem in about 1924 and lived on her father Owen's farm for 10 years with her 3 children (tom, my father, Maryellen, and Peggy) and returned to Brooklyn about 10 years later. i knew an Aunt Lizzie and Katherine. there was also a Delia or Bedelia and mention of relatives named Stock. this appears to be the family you describe. let m eknow what you think. thanks.

Unknown said...

Hi Tom,

It's almost certainly the same family. There aren't many McCadden's in that part of Donegal

Tom Lavin said...

Thanks for responding. I was very pleased to find your site. I will dig up some more info and send it on. I think I have her birth certificate. I have visited my other connections in Kiltimagh (Lavin), Gneevguilla, Kerry (Moynihan), Gortatlea Cross, Kerry (Donohoe) but not the McCaddens in Aughlim. Don’t know if anyone is still there. BTW, I live in NY. Go raibh mille maith agat agus beir beannacht.

ebjorlow said...

Owen & Mary Kelly McCadden were my grandparents. My Mother was Elizabeth McCadden South. She was born 1900. Came to USA around 1920. First lived with sister Mary McCadden Meehan when arrived in USA. I do not remember meeting Mary,only heard about her. She had a son Francis. Aunts that I knew are Agnes McCadden Lavin, Grace McCadden Hanna & Maggie McCadden Currie or Curry. Agnes Lavin had four children: Tommy, Maryellen, Peggy & Jim. I think we are cousins, Tom. Keep in touch. What do you think Mike? Thank you.

Anonymous said...

i'm decendant of grace mccadden later grace hanna.. i'm great granddaughter of her. my name is leesa dunne. i have a family tree online with my great grandmother. i have also contacted the lawns now also living in america.. from what i understand charles never had children and the family died off in ireland .. my email is dunnalee@aol.com but i hardly look but you can find me on facebook..

Tom Lavin said...

ebjorlow, we are certainly cousins. I am "Tommy" Lavin's oldest child. Is Hector your brother? He gave me a beautiful collie when I was 7 years old! We found out that my grandmother Agnes, was actually Bridget Agnes. We are also both related to leesa dunne. I can be reached directly at tom@lavin.com.
Do you by chance remember a Della Watt who lived in New Paltz, NY? she was related to the McCaddens.

Anonymous said...

this is starting at the beginning or i hope it shows the link


http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/d/u/n/Leesa-Dunne/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0073.html

Robert Long said...

Hello
My name is Robert Long, I am the grandson of Grace McCadden Hanna. I remember Bridget and Agnes coming out from the city when I was young and Lizzie lived only a few miles away. I remember Jack Curry and Hector was quite a character. He lived close by too.I have letters from Maryellen and Peggy to my mom. Hi Tom, Leesa gave me this site and I think its fantastic,so many memories coming back. I have lots of pictures left to me by my mom. My email is Mainman1950@yahoo.com. I too live in New York

Anonymous said...

oh my rob i didn't know you had letters like that.. is there any way you can send me pictures? i have really nothing .. .. i wish i was in new york i would come over...lol

Anonymous said...

i found this website long ago about theresa mccadden offspring

Anonymous said...

oooooooops http://www.coate.org/Archives/wc01/wc01_050.html

Andrew Riggsby said...

The family (Owen and his wife Mary Kelly) are listed in the 1901 census *in Scotland*. They are in Glasgow, and there are 9 children listed there:
Mary Ann (19)
Cassie (17)
Maggie (15)
Charles (12)
Joseph (10)
Grace (9)
John (7)
Bridget (5)
Lizzie (4 mo.)
Cassie and Maggie are listed as being born in the USA; Lizzie in Glasgow.

Theresa said...

Hello, I am a descendant of Teresa McCadden, (born 1903) who married James Lawn, and lived in Drimadoney. My mother, Bridget Agnes, also went by Agnes when she arrived in Boston in 1949.
Her siblings were Francis, John, Barney, and Mary. Her brother John emigrated to Boston in 1955. It looks like many McCaddens went to NY, and the Lawns went to Medford, Ma. I would love to learn more and find any photos if possible. We only have one of my grandmother Teresa. I would treasure anything you have.
Theresa
mrs.oc@verizon.net